As of September 1st 2023, changes were made to the eye care coverage by the Ontario government:
Children (aged 0 to 19 years)
• Covered for a full eye exam once every 12 months
Adults (aged 20 - 64 years)
• No OHIP coverage except for (i) few medical exceptions and (ii) government funded programs
Seniors (aged 65 years and older)
• Covered for a full eye exam once every 18 months. Covered for a full exam once every 12 months if have some medical exceptions.
• People with diabetes, glaucoma, macular degeneration and significant cataracts will be covered for a full eye exam every 12 months.
Government Funded Programs
• (1) Native aboriginal people holding a band card and (2) individuals in receipt of Ontario Disability Program, Ontario Works Program or Family Benefits Program are covered for a full eye exam once every 24 months
Eye examination fee is charged for patients or services not covered by OHIP.
Patient may be covered by their own insurance plan. For more information please contact your benefits provider. Please find below a few of the providers:
Great West Life
Phone: 1-800-461-6090 or 1-800-665-2648
ManuLife and Maritime Life
1-800-361-6212 or 1-800-361-2128 X2693
1-800-234-8881 or (416) 626-1688